The Effects Media Can Have On Your Reputation
Any mention of your name or business in the media, both online and in hard copy, has the power to make or break your reputation. The truth is that what you post on social media can significantly impact your personal and business status. It can be one of the most powerful tools in your reputation management box – if you use it appropriately and responsibly.
Let’s explore the positives and the pitfalls concerning online reputation management. There’s more to it than you may think.
If done correctly, intelligently, and responsibly, the media and social media can greatly benefit your reputation. You can use strategies to help build your brand and reputation tremendously.
Quality posts and content can build trust and credibility, bring in more business, and encourage more people to connect and collaborate. This leads to both personal and business growth, expansion, and financial gain.
Social media can assist with online reputation management in the following ways:
1. It Can Positively Shape Your Brand
Working on your online reputation can help to generate brand awareness. Correct strategies will be effective in helping you to establish and engage your target audience and market.
Being online consistently and in a focused way can also help you establish where your target consumers are hanging out online. You can then make sure you have a presence on these platforms so that you can engage with potential clients.
2. You Can Moderate Social Media Comments to Your Benefit
Managing your social media reputation also means you have the opportunity of moderating comments. Customers will often review your services or products and their customer experience in the comment section of your posts. This allows you to see where your business is doing well and where you could make some improvements.
You will be able to engage with people by responding to their comments. This gives your business accountability and credibility. It gives you a chance to respond to negative comments and offer a solution to the complainant rather than letting the matter go unresolved.
Monitoring social media comments helps improve your online reputation and your business’ ratings.
3. You Can Work on Building Relationships
Connecting with your audience on social media can significantly improve your relationships with existing and potential clients. You will see via their comments what they are saying about your business. You can also respond and offer complimentary online resources to help your target audience further.
Keeping in touch with your audience will also show you what their needs are and thus help you identify solutions that can be monetized.
4. You Have the Opportunity to Establish Yourself as an Expert
Using the media can also help you to establish yourself as an expert in your field. This means that people will look to your brand for advice and solutions when they have a problem. You can do this by writing or sharing quality blogs, articles, and other links on the relevant subject matter.
Along with improving your reputation, establishing yourself as an expert in your field helps to drive trust and sales for your business.
5. Your Social Media Activity Will Help Boost Search Engine Rankings
Nowadays, online search engines are placing a lot of weight on social media platforms. Active, credible social media accounts will improve your online reputation and help you rank higher in searches on topics related to your business.
To make the most of this, keep your sites up to date and post consistently.
6. Effective Media Strategies Will Push Sales
Ultimately, the reason to practice good social media reputation management is to drive sales and experience more success with your business. More sales mean that you benefit, and so do others. You can create more jobs and rewards for staff and clients, and you may even be able to support charitable projects.
Using social media effectively and responsibly is thus an opportunity to be noticed. As much of the interaction is available free of charge, it is a fantastic opportunity to get your name out there and to build trust with your online community.
7. You Can Use Social Media to Connect with Brand Ambassadors
Social media gives you the opportunity to share content created by your brand ambassadors. Working with other creditable businesses and individuals as ambassadors for your brand can also help you to manage your reputation positively. Having respected individuals using and speaking about your brand will boost your reputation and help you get more followers and buyers.
The impacts of negative social media content cannot be stressed enough. An ill-conceived post can spell disaster. As mentioned, a post has the power to make or break your reputation, depending on the content.
It is essential to think carefully about something before posting it on your or anyone else’s platforms. An ill-considered post can ruin your reputation and even cost you your job or business. The effects can last for years; in some cases, they can even result in criminal charges.
There are a few ways things can play out and a few different consequences.
1. Posts that are Inaccurate or in Poor Taste Can Open You Up to Criticism
Posting information that is not confirmed or accurate can damage your credibility and open you up to public criticism. This will result in fewer sales and support, which can do a great deal of harm to your business.
2. You and Your Business Could Be Seen as Supporters of Intolerant Values
Posts that are inappropriate, defamatory, or insensitive to various races, gender groups, or points of view can spell disaster for your reputation. Promoting these kinds of anti-progressive views marks you as intolerant of others. You may be marked as racist, sexist, or whatever your post indicates you are unwilling to embrace or tolerate.
3. You Could Face Criminal Charges
You could also face a legal lawsuit for defamatory or offensive posts. You could be sued, face a hefty fine, or even imprisonment, depending on how severe the matter is.
There are several crimes related to general internet posting. These also include what you post on your or someone else’s social media accounts. Some of these crimes include:
- Cyberbullying, harassment, and stalking
- Making threats
- Criminal libel
- Child pornography
- Luring underage children into illegal sexual acts
- Revenge pornography
- Domestic abuse
4. You Can Lose Your Position or Business
Depending on how egregious and inappropriate the post is, it can destroy your career. Others will no longer wish to work with someone who has revealed themselves as unreliable or intolerant of specific societal demographics. This means your ability to make a living and support your family is at stake.
To avoid online reputation issues, be sure to always post responsible, credible, true content that is not offensive in nature.
Other than creating effective online strategies, as discussed earlier in this article, you can follow a few other best practices to boost your reputation. These include:
- Establish a presence on major platforms like Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube, and TikTok. Also, make sure you are active on other forums.
- Be active on platforms and networks where your target audience hangs out. Respond to both positive and not-so-positive comments – professionally and sincerely.
- Don’t be shy, but don’t go off without a plan.
- Be active and consistent with your posts.
- Do your research and think it through before you tap ‘publish.’ Ask yourself: Is it true? Is it kind/responsible/appropriate? Will it benefit my audience? Go for quality, always.
- Be careful about accepting friends and follow requests from unknown accounts that have nothing to do with your niche. You may not realize their agenda before it’s too late.
- Never show that you are competing with other brands. Be independent and sovereign.
- Do not fight with others over social media. If a matter needs to be cleared up, sort it out privately and directly with the person or group concerned.
- If you need to resolve a matter brought up in a negative post, do so calmly and professionally. Do not rise to the bait when people write unpleasant things.
As you can see, social media and other forms of media can boost your business and personal reputation if you go about things correctly. This, in turn, will help you to experience the success you dream of, as well as render you better able to support others.
It’s best to make sure that whatever you post adds value to your audience and that it is true. Do not post content that is offensive or content that cannot be proven. Try to keep it as positive as possible to promote leadership and trustworthiness.
The team at BRANDefenders can help you with your online reputation. Developing good social media practices and a positively-perceived online reputation takes serious dedication and effort, but the results are worth it.